[Bloat] Jumbo frames and LAN buffers (was: RE: Burst Loss)

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri May 13 16:21:46 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Kevin Gross <kevin.gross at avanw.com> wrote:

> Do we think that bufferbloat is just a WAN problem? I work on live media
> applications for LANs and campus networks. I'm seeing what I think could be
> characterized as bufferbloat in LAN equipment. The timescales on 1 Gb
> Ethernet are orders of magnitude shorter and the performance problems caused
> are in many cases a bit different but root cause and potential solutions
> are, I'm hoping, very similar.
>

> Keeping the frame byte size small while the frame time has shrunk maintains
> the overhead at the same level. Again, this has been a conscious decision
> not a stubborn relic. Ethernet improvements have increased bandwidth by
> orders of magnitude. Do we really need to increase it by a couple percentage
> points more by reducing overhead for large payloads?
>

> The cost of that improved marginal bandwidth efficiency is a 6x increase in
> latency. Many applications would not notice an increase from 12 us to 72 us
> for a Gigabit switch hop. But on a large network it adds up, some
> applications are absolutely that sensitive (transaction processing, cluster
> computing, SANs) and (I thought I'd be preaching to the choir here) there's
> no way to ever recover the lost performance.

You are preaching to the choir here, but I note several things:

Large frame sizes on 10GigE networks to other 10GigE networks is less of a
problem than 10GigE to 10Mbit networks. I would hope/expect that frame would
fragment in that case.

Getting to where latencies are less than 10ms in the general case makes voip
feasible again. I'm still at well over 300ms on bismark.

Enabling higher speed stock market trades and live music exchange over a lan
would be next on my list after getting below 10ms on the local
switch/wireless interface!

A lot of research points to widely enabling some form of fair queuing at the
servers and switches to distribute the load at sane levels. (nagle, 89) I
think few gig+e vendors are doing that in hardware, and it would be good to
know who is and who isn't.

For example, the switch I'm using on bismark has all sorts of wonderful QoS
features such as fair queuing, but as best as I can tell they are not
enabled, and I'm seeing buffering in the switch at well above 20ms....

It is astonishing that a switch chip this capable has reached the consumer
marketplace...

http://realtek.info/pdf/rtl8366s_8366sr_datasheet_vpre-1.4_20071022.pdf

And depressing that so few of it's capabilities have software to configure
them.

> Kevin Gross

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608