[Bloat] Burst Loss

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Fri May 13 18:08:41 EDT 2011

On Fri, 13 May 2011, Dave Taht wrote:

> Not, incidentally that I mind the idea of jumbo frames. It seems silly to be
> saddled with default frame sizes that made sense in the 70s, and in an age
> where we will be seeing ever more packet encapsulation, reducing the header
> size as a ratio to data size strikes me as a very worthy goal.

the header to data size ratio is a small factor (but with a header of ~50
bytes, you don't save _that_ much)

but I thought the huge advantage to jumbo frames was eliminating the gap
between packets. back in the 1Mb network days, this gap size was not
significant (a few bits work), but as networks have gotten faster, the gap
has not gotten smaller by the same ratio.

you guys are probably closer to the raw numbers than I am, but what it the
total throughput of a network (including header data as throughput) for
various packet sizes (64 byte, 1500 byte, 9000 byte)

David Lang