[Bloat] Jumbo frames and LAN buffers (was: RE: Burst Loss)

Richard Scheffenegger rscheff at gmx.at
Mon May 16 14:11:05 EDT 2011

Hi Fred,

Yes, that's the common topology; However, 802.3x is often used only
unidirectional and with very limited effect, but not bidirectional. At least
that's the default settings... (I wonder, if both ends of a link are RX,
would flow control ever get triggered?)

I know a number of deployments, where globally enabling full flowcontrol (as
opposed to RX / TX only) lead to fewer packet drops, but also to sometimes
massively reduces network bandwidth.

This is what I meant when I said you don't want to deploy flow control in a
multi-tier  network topology because of the congestion tree forming.

Best regards,
   Richard