[Bloat] Jumbo frames and LAN buffers

Richard Scheffenegger rscheff at gmx.at
Mon May 16 14:36:57 EDT 2011

Kevin,

> My understanding is that 802.1au, "lossless Ethernet", was designed
> primarily to allow Fibre Channel to be carried over 10 GbE so that SAN and
> LAN can share a common infrastructure in datacenters. I don't believe
> anyone
> intends for it to be enabled for traffic classes carrying TCP.

Well, QCN requires a L2 MAC sender, network and receiver cooperation (thus
you need fancy "CNA" converged network adapters, to start using it - these
would be reaction/reflection points; plus the congestion points - switches -
would need HW support too; nothing one can buy today; higher-grade
(carrier?) switches may have the reaction/reflection points built into them,
and could use legacy 802.3x signalling outside the 802.1Qau cloud).

The following may be too simplistic

Once the hardware has a reaction point support, it classifies traffic, and
calculates the per flow congestion of the path (with flow really being the
classification rules by the sender), the intermediates / receiver sample the
flow and return the congestion back to the sender - and within the sender, a
token bucket-like rate limiter will adjust the sending rate of the
appropriate flow(s) to adjust to the observed network conditions.

http://www.stanford.edu/~balaji/presentations/au-prabhakar-qcn-description.pdf
http://www.ieee802.org/1/files/public/docs2007/au-pan-qcn-details-053007.pdf

The congestion control loop has a lot of similarities to TCP CC as you will
note...

Also, I haven't found out how fine-grained the classification is supposed to
be (per L2 address pair? Group of flows? Which hashing then to use for
mapping L2 flows into those groups between reaction/congestion/reflection
points...).

Anyway, for the here and now, this is pretty much esoteric stuff not
relevant in this context :)

Best regards,
  Richard