[Bloat] Applying RED93 in south africa

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat May 21 10:27:39 EDT 2011

The default qos-scripts for openwrt are being  tested in south africa right
now as part of the first bismark 'capetown' deployment of a whole bunch of
wndr3700v2 routers.

Bismark contains extensive debloating of the ar71xx, and ath9k device
drivers and
shortened txqueues.

On the plus side, the qos-scripts hold latencies down below 400ms for
priority traffic.

On the minus sides, I'm not seeing red kick in (no packet loss to speak of),
ecn is not being negotiated on tcp connections to SA(??), and single stream
downloads are at about 3/4 of the overall bandwidth available.

I would be very interested in a little analysis of the packet captures and
data contained in bug:

http://www.bufferbloat.net/issues/171

and email thread:

https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/bismark-devel/2011-May/000177.html

I've also setup a wndr3700v2 box in Georgia with these QoS settings in
place, and some big files worth downloading. It is temporarily at:

http://gw.lab.bufferbloat.net/capetown/capetown-wndr3700v2/

Experience the pain of the Internet on another continent! (note that the gw
is up on ipv6 as well)

(if you merely want a copy of the near final capetown release of bismark for
a wndr3700v2,
 you can download it without the simulated pain, at:

http://mirrors.projectbismark.net/downloads/capetown/capetown-wndr3700v2/

only the "v2" is supported.

)

SFB is also in this release, but lacking good scripts for it...

So, out of the 100+ papers on RED93, which one applies best in this
situation? does RED93 drop packets properly when ECN is not available? Etc.

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://the-edge.blogspot.com