[Bloat] tiny monsters: multicast packets

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun May 29 12:07:07 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek <jch at pps.jussieu.fr>wrote:

> >> Are you seeing high CPU load in interrupt context?  (Run top.)
>
> > Yes. 99% sirq.
>
> Could be due to a simplistic Ethernet driver.  If you have the time and
> energy, you may want to ask on dev.openwrt.org.
>
> I will have some energy and time, shortly.

That said, several great openwrt people are on this list, and may be able to
weigh in.

I'm glad that the limit of about 130Mbit on the ethernet side for gigE could
be mitigated with a better driver. (and that said, 130Mbit is "good enough"
for most of the world)

On the other hand, making the switch that lays underneath this driver, work
well, looks hard.

Does anybody here speak enough Taiwanese to get enough detail on the
rtl8366s to see what it would take to enable fair queueing and port
mirroring?

or have a relationship with realtek they could use to get this info?

The datasheet has insufficient detail, and yet the switch seems enormously
capable, at least in theory. The kind of numbers under load I've seen thus
far (ranging from .9ms to 170ms) suggest port starvation.

http://realtek.info/pdf/rtl8366s_8366sr_datasheet_vpre-1.4_20071022.pdf

> -- Juliusz

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608