[Bloat] tiny monsters: multicast packets

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun May 29 12:53:15 EDT 2011

The datasheet has insufficient detail, and yet the switch seems enormously
>> capable, at least in theory. The kind of numbers under load I've seen thus
>> far (ranging from .9ms to 170ms) suggest port starvation.
>>
>> http://realtek.info/pdf/rtl8366s_8366sr_datasheet_vpre-1.4_20071022.pdf

In looking over an earlier datasheet, for an earlier revision of this switch
chip, the details for possibly enabling port mirroring (so as to be able to
look at streams using an external monitoring box), as well as twiddling with
fair queuing (to address the port starvation issue) are there, in sections
8.10, and 8.13.

http://realtek.info/pdf/rtl8366_8369_datasheet_1-1.pdf

They are not in the later datasheet, but the features are at least,
mentioned there.

I'm happy. Nothing left to do but code it up and see what happens.
That's the fun part.

>>>  -- Juliusz
>>>

>> --
>> Dave Täht