[Bloat] tiny monsters: multicast packets

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun May 29 13:02:31 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet at gmail.com>wrote:

> Le dimanche 29 mai 2011 à 10:07 -0600, Dave Taht a écrit :
> >

> > On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Juliusz Chroboczek
> > <jch at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:
> >         >> Are you seeing high CPU load in interrupt context?  (Run
> >         top.)
> >
> >         > Yes. 99% sirq.
> >

> >         Could be due to a simplistic Ethernet driver.  If you have the
> >         time and
> >         energy, you may want to ask on dev.openwrt.org.
> >
> > I will have some energy and time, shortly.
> >
> > That said, several great openwrt people are on this list, and may be
> > able to weigh in.
> >
> > I'm glad that the limit of about 130Mbit on the ethernet side for gigE
> > could be mitigated with a better driver. (and that said, 130Mbit is
> > "good enough" for most of the world)
> >

> Hmm, 130 Mbits sound very low. What linux version is it, and what the
> driver is exactly, so that I take a look ?

The ethernet driver is the ag71xx driver as present in the wndr3700v2 (and
mucho related atheros hardware).  Regrettably so far as I can tell, this one
is out of tree, and is incorporated in the openwrt build via a string of
patches.

https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/ar71xx/files/drivers/net/ag71xx

I think.

Gabor sent patches for it to me for ethtool that I have not yet tried.

The kernel being used in capetown[1] is 2.6.37.6. - patched forward from
2.6.39 for the pfifo ecn bug, the ipv6 ecn bug, and several other
bufferbloat related things like sfb...

1: http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bismark/wiki/Capetown
SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608