[Bloat] philosophical question

George B. georgeb at gmail.com
Mon May 30 00:24:56 EDT 2011

Ok, say I have a network with no over subscription in my net.  I have
10G to the internet but am only using about 2G of that.  This is the
server side of a network talking to millions of clients.  The clients
in this case are on "lossy" wireless networks where packet loss is not
an indication of congestion so much as it is an indication that the
client moved 15 feet behind a pole and had poor network connectivity
for a few minutes.

The idea being that in today's internet, packet loss is not a good
indication of congestion.  Often it just means that the radio signal
has been briefly interrupted.  What I need is something that can tell
the difference between real congestion and radio loss.  ECN seems to
be the way forward in that respect.

But assuming my network, as a server of content is not over
subscribed, what would you suggest as the best qdisc for such a
traffic profile? In other words, I am looking at this from the server
aspect rather than from the client aspect.