[Bloat] philosophical question

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon May 30 13:05:07 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 9:29 AM, George B. <georgeb at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 5:25 AM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 10:24 PM, George B. <georgeb at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Ok, say I have a network with no over subscription in my net.
> >
> > I'd love to see one of those. Can I get on it?
>
> Well, we currently have the potential for some microburst oversub
> inside the data center but not too much of it.  I can take a 48-port
> GigE switch and have 40G of uplink but the switches aren't fully
> populated yet.  Bottlenecks are currently where we might have 25 front
> end servers talking on GigE to a backend server with 20G.  So some
> potential for internal microburst oversub but that's beyond the scope
> of this discussion.

I was serious about asking to get on it. We're trying to get
measurement/test servers in place everywhere we can, so that we can more
deeply analyze the problems the bufferbloat is causing and find more ways to
mitigate it.

As one example, I've been coping with dramatic overbuffering in the GigE
switch we are using on the wndr3700v2s, and working on ways to combat it, as
recent threads on the bloat and bismark-devel lists.

Going SERIOUSLY upstream from a piece of low end consumer gear
to something heavier duty to try and nip this problem in the bud there,
would do much to undo the damage that the change to 1000 deep txqueuelens
did to the world, when GiGE first deployed in the data center about 6 years
ago and then migrated out to consumer gear.

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://the-edge.blogspot.com