[Bloat] First-time install on brand new WNDR3700v2 not working

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 12:32:11 EDT 2011

rc7-smoketest9 is out, no major changes, just openwrt head + the packages
asked for below.

minimally tested on a 3800. not tested on a 3700v2.

At least on the jffs2 version, the wifi detection routine failed and I had
to run wifi detect > /etc/config/wireless

and reboot.

ge00 comes up for me. An ongoing problem is the lack of random numbers for
wpa.

If it otherwise breaks, I will be offline this weekend, please go back to
rc7-smoketest8...

it appears dibbler-poslib is built as a separate package, with an incorrect
dependency...

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 7:53 AM, Maxim Kharlamov <mcs at podsolnuh.biz> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Well, at least for rc6 jffs2 factory image the tftp update method didn't
> work. I tried many times and tried renaming the image file - no luck (file
> transferred but completely ignored). Maybe it's a quirk of wndr3800, don't
> know.

you probably needed the 3800 specific image in smoketest8. OR

> After installing openwrt I uploaded cerowrt rc6 factory squashfs image.
> Did you mean that I should've uploaded sysupgrade version instead?
>
> yes.

> First impressions:
> * Ge00 interface not getting up automatically. Every time I restart the
> router, I need to do 'ifup ge00' or bring it up via web interface.

As noted earlier, I'm puzzled.

> * Lack of opkg packages: I installed kmod-usb-serial, but couldn't find
> kmod-usb-serial-option, usb-modeswitch, usb-modeswitch-data or sdparm;
> consequently, couldn't get my 3g dongle to work. Cerowrt sees it as a usb
> cd-rom.

we're very interested in bloat on 3g. What dongle do you use?

>    If I remove kmod-usb-storage, it kinda sees it as a usb serial device,
> but cannot do anything with it.

Your wish is my command. see rc7-smoketest9 for these additional optional
packages.

I note it's best to NOT preserve settings over a reflash. SOMETIMES you can
switch opkg repos to the latest, particularly when the kernel doesn't
change - but not on smoketests....

* DHCPv6-PD isn't supported. Looks like it is scheduled for 1.2? My ISP
> uses DHCPv6-PD to delegate /48 ipv6 prefixes.

You have an ISP THAT DOES PD? Where? Who? Wow.

> Meanwhile I installed dibbler-client, but can't run it: "can't load
library 'libposlib.so.1'"

Dibbler is old, and what's in git is improving but unstable. I really don't
know what to use. I have a request from comcast to use something, anything,
but...

   When I connected the router to my main ipv6 enabled router, it was able
> to pick the ipv6, but something still wrong with the dns - it only works
> for ipv4. Not sure exactly what is happening.

hmm. more detail (in a bug report) please.

> Thanks,
> Max
>

> On 4 November 2011 03:22, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Wow. 3 flashers in one day. (there is no specific cerowrt list, this is
>> as good a place as any, at least for now)
>>
>> I will try to improve the flashing instructions but to clarify here:
>>
>> the 'FACTORY' images are are for installing when you have factory
>> firmware installed. Usually, but *not always*, you can install that via the
>> factory web interface, but always, you can install via a tftp update.
>>
>> The 'SYSUPGRADE' images are for when you have a prior version of openwrt,
>> cerowrt, dd-wrt, etc, already installed.
>>
>> JFFS2 vs squashfs is a matter of personal choice. If you plan to do lots
>> of development or coding on the router, go with jffs2. Otherwise squashfs
>> saves space.
>>
>> I'm really delighted to see people trying cerowrt out (and all on a day
>> while I was offline!). I look forward to any feedback you might have.
>> (bugs, features on the wiki please)
>>
>> but: I have to note that although rc7-smoketest8 is proving out pretty
>> good... it's what I call a 'smoketest', not even a release candidate. I try
>> to come out with smoketests once a week, and my hope was to get rc7 itself
>> out in ~2 weeks...
>>
>> but as we're lagging  the kernel development cycle by a little bit too
>> much (and some core trees are only just now coming online again) I'm going
>> to slip a whole bunch of stuff out of rc7's roadmap.
>>
>> What I've been burning mental cycles on - is that now that I'm relatively
>> happy with the wireless performance and overall stability/features - is
>> trying to improve the gateway AQM system to suck a little less. Which is
>> proving to be hard. And also improving wireless latency further using a
>> sane classifier with QFQ - which is also proving to be hard although I have
>> more of a grip on that at the moment.
>>
>> Anyway, don't expect miracles from cero yet! Bloated queues move to your
>> laptop, and upstream links - which are also bad places for them! - fixing
>> your laptop is relatively easy - upstream link harder - you have to fix
>> bloat everywhere you can.
>>

>> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Shane Turner <turner at chebucto.ns.ca>wrote:
>>
>>> I have a neglected WNDR3700v2 at home, still in the box, waiting to be
>>> flashed and tested with. Which firmware did you choose in the end?
>>>
>>> http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/**~cero1/rc7-smoketests/rc7-**
>>> smoketest8/openwrt-ar71xx-**generic-wndr3700v2-jffs2-**factory.img<http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/%7Ecero1/rc7-smoketests/rc7-smoketest8/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3700v2-jffs2-factory.img>
>>> or
>>> http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/**~cero1/rc7-smoketests/rc7-**
>>> smoketest8/openwrt-ar71xx-**generic-wndr3700v2-squashfs-**factory.img<http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/%7Ecero1/rc7-smoketests/rc7-smoketest8/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3700v2-squashfs-factory.img>
>>>
>>> In what way did you deviate from the procedure at
>>> http://www.bufferbloat.net/**projects/cerowrt/wiki/Cerowrt_**
>>> flashing_instructions<http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Cerowrt_flashing_instructions>to get it working? Did you have to rename the file? Did you have to flash
>>> to OpenWRT first?
>>>
>>> Shane