[Bloat] Windows file sharing broken with RC6 ?

David Täht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 04:51:56 EDT 2011

On 11/04/2011 06:53 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> Now that my new WND3700v2 router is in service with CeroWRT RC6
> ("Ocean City"), I've been unable to share directories between two
> Windows 7 computers.
>
> - I'm *not* using "HomeGroup".  All computers involved are in "Workgroup"
>
> - From my wife's XP laptop, I can do a directory of
> \\<her_win7_machine>  and see the shared directory, but syncing that
> directory with the laptop no longer works (i.e. My Documents)
>
> I share two directories from one of my PCs to the other.  Both are
> Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  I am unable to see \\<computer1>  from
> <computer2>, and of course, can't see those directories either.
>
> Is there something I need to enable in the CeroWRT software to support this?

I knew this was going to be a problem with the routing split. (another
issue will be multicast dns)

Like so many other things, I'd like to get this to zero configuration,
while keeping wireless and wired interfaces separated...

The fix :

1) install wins support with the samba3 package (via:

   opkg update
   opkg install samba3 luci-app-samba

(or install via the web interface)

2) configure it to be in the workgroup and announce on the subnets. It
should then become the    'master' browser for that domain.

While I recall this setup as straightforward (edit either
/etc/config/samba and/or /etc/samba/smb.conf.template) and used it to
share a flash disk across a XP/Vista network as well as printers, that
was waaaay back in may.

however I do not know if windows 7 has 'extra' firewalling features in
re subnets at this point. As an enterprise OS I sure would hope not and
it's merely the missing wins announcement that is failing you.

start it via

/etc/init.d/samba3 start

Wash, rinse, repeat. When it works...

3) Enable it on boot via the web interface