[Bloat] DHCP-PD and cerowrt

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Thu Nov 10 21:27:03 EST 2011

On 11/10/2011 07:17 AM, Dave Taht wrote:
> Dear Maxim:
>
>> Updated to smoketest10.
>> Those features are slightly tested now. After installing the necessary
>> packages, 3g and pppoe work, dhcp6c also seems to be OK, but requires some
>> messing with the /etc/config/dhcp6c.conf file.
> What sorts of 'messing about' were required? (please send conf file)
>
> How big a PD (/64? /60? /56? what?) do they delegate?
>
> With comcast starting to go live with their dual stack trial, they
> only will be delegating a /64 at first,
>
> http://blog.comcast.com/2011/11/ipv6-deployment-technology.html
>
> which blows up the routing-only concept in cerowrt when used with
> classic autonegotiated /64 ipv6 addressing. However I'd planned for
> that, in having AHCP available and babel be the default routing
> protocols. AHCP distributes /128s across all interfaces, and in
> combination with babel, lets you move transparently from wired to
> wireless domains and back again, which is very liberating and an
> advancement on the state of the art in home networking.
>
> so having hooks to AHCP and babel in there as alternative means to
> distribute /128s across all the routed interfaces would be exciting.
> If I knew what they were.
>
> Regardless of this particular hook, I'd like to make dhcpv6-pd
> enablement part of the next release, by default, rather than as an
> optional package.

Note that Comcast (and TWC, as far as I can tell) do plan to delegate
larger prefixes.

The existing IPv6 home routers only support a single /64 today.  So this
means they can start this phase of the dual stack service
without having to deploy pd; but I think they are already testing pd
internally.
                - Jim