[Bloat] getting started with mesh networking

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 22:28:49 EST 2011

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM, Andrew Hammond
<andrew.george.hammond at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been trying to follow the directions at
> http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Mesh
> however they assume a lot of prior knowledge. I'd like to set up mesh
> networking where I simply add routers to extend the mesh. I have my primary
> / uplink router configured and working. I have enabled AHCP on it and
> applied the changes to /etc/config/network as described (except I left
> txqueuelen at 37 since it bumped my laptops off the network when I tried it
> at 4).

Very cool.

1) I spent some time this morning cleaning up and I hope vastly
improved the document

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Mesh

Let me know if that helps.

2) Some changes in openwrt in late october in the startup scripts and
lua broke startup for AHCP. :(

if the AHCPD process is not running after you configure it, then I
have to come up with a fix, but it can be made to go with a one liner
in /etc/rc.local and generating the 3 line ahcp.conf file

I'll fix it for rc8

3) I discovered that txqueuelen 40 was less buggy than 37, and of late
I've been working with some QFQ and SFQ based scripts
   that make much longer txqueuelens feasible, and even desirable.

4) Getting the first two nodes to work is hard. Getting a third much
less so. It's really all the backward compatability cruft (DHCP,
firewalling, nat notably) that's the real source of the problem...

I can help on irc, but not til tuesday. There is also a ##babeld on irc