[Bloat] Windows file sharing broken with RC6 ?

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 29 23:35:02 EST 2011

I'm so close, see below:

On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 2:51 AM, David Täht wrote:

> 1) install wins support with the samba3 package (via:
>
>  opkg update
>  opkg install samba3 luci-app-samba
>
> (or install via the web interface)

Done.

> 2) configure it to be in the workgroup and announce on the subnets. It
> should then become the    'master' browser for that domain.
>
> While I recall this setup as straightforward (edit either /etc/config/samba
> and/or /etc/samba/smb.conf.template) and used it to share a flash disk
> across a XP/Vista network as well as printers, that was waaaay back in may.

Done.  I left the default network name as 'openwrt'.

> start it via
>
> /etc/init.d/samba3 start

Done.

> 3) Enable it on boot via the web interface

Done.

I put two Windows 7 computers into the OPENWRT workgroup - one on the
wired LAN, one on the wireless LAN.  Both have their WINS
configuration set to "NetBIOS over TCP/IP".  Both have been rebooted.

On both computers, The network contains three nodes:

- AD1C (wireless)
- JJR (wired)
- OPENWRT (router)

I browse OPENWRT and see the tmp folder.  However, when I try to
browse \\JJR (from AD1C) or \\AD1C (from JJR), Windows 7 says "Windows
can not access \\<HOST>"

You also suggested I try browsing by IP address:

  \\the.ip.add.ress\sharename

That actually WORKS!  So why does the IP address work, but the NAME
(ie. JJR or AD1C) does not?

Note that there is another computer on the wired network, it's still
int the "WORKGROUP" workgroup, and it does *not* show up as a node on
the network.  This is what I expected, is that what you expect?

--
Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us