[Bloat] Windows file sharing broken with RC6 ?

Jim Reisert AD1C jjreisert at alum.mit.edu
Wed Nov 30 10:38:07 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Robert Bradley wrote:

> I'm going to guess that for some reason, the WINS server is not being
> advertised by DHCP.  It may not be ideal, but you could try manually
> configuring the WINS server on each system, pointing it at the router.
> At least the firewall issue seems to be sorted for the moment.

If I can access another computer on the wired network by name, that
means that the WINS server is working, right?  The problem is that I
can't access another computer by name (only by IP address) when it is
on a different subnet.  I've tried manually configuring the WINS
server in Windows 7 and it doesn't make a difference.

These are the contents of my /etc/config/samba file - should be same
as the default:

root at OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/config/samba
config samba
        option 'name'                   'openwrt'
        option 'workgroup'              'openwrt'
        option 'description'            'openwrt'
        option 'homes'                  '1'

config sambashare
        option 'name'                   'tmp'
        option 'path'                   '/tmp'