[Bloat] Windows file sharing broken with RC6 ?

David Täht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 10:57:46 EST 2011

On 11/30/2011 02:04 PM, Robert Bradley wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 00:13 -0700, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>> It may not be as dire as I originally thought.
>>
>> On the two wired computers running Windows 7, in Windows Explorer I
>> can see all the nodes on the system - themselves, OPENWRT (and its tmp
>> directory) and the Windows 7 computer on the wireless network.
>> However, I can't connect from the wired subnet to the wireless subnet
>> by name:
>>
>>   Windows can not access \\wirelesscomputer
>>
>> But Windows can get to it via its IP address:
>>
>>   \\172.30.42.69
>>
>> On the wireless computer, the only node I see is itself - I don't even
>> see OPENWRT, and certainly don't see the computers on the wired
>> subnet.
>>

> I'm going to guess that for some reason, the WINS server is not being
> advertised by DHCP.  It may not be ideal, but you could try maqnually
> configuring the WINS server on each system, pointing it at the router.
> At least the firewall issue seems to be sorted for the moment.

Your diagnosis might be correct.

There are not one, but two errors in the present /etc/config/dhcp file

config 'dhcp' 'sw00'
        option interface        'sw00'
        option start    2
        option limit    26
        list 'dhcp_option' '42,0.0.0.0'
        option leasetime        24h
        option domain   'home.lan'

The dhcp options for supplying WINS are not set. It's
not clear to me if you need to set all or merely some of these,
but adding to each interface configuration section:

list 'dhcp_option' '48,0.0.0.0'

Seems like a good bet.

And MAYBE:

list 'dhcp_option' '19,1'

I simply don't know if setting these is useful too.

#dhcp-option=45,0.0.0.0     # netbios datagram distribution server
#dhcp-option=46,8           # netbios node type

For more details on how dnsmasq works, see:

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq.conf.example

# The following DHCP options set up dnsmasq in the same way as is specified
# for the ISC dhcpcd in
# http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/textdocs/DHCP-Server-Configuration.txt
# adapted for a typical dnsmasq installation where the host running
# dnsmasq is also the host running samba.
# you may want to uncomment some or all of them if you use
# Windows clients and Samba.
#dhcp-option=19,0           # option ip-forwarding off
#dhcp-option=44,0.0.0.0     # set netbios-over-TCP/IP nameserver(s) aka WINS server(s)
#dhcp-option=45,0.0.0.0     # netbios datagram distribution server
#dhcp-option=46,8           # netbios node type

The second, is that it is not supplying a ntp server to the se00
network, this is not related to the wins problem.