[Bloat] Windows file sharing broken with RC6 ?

Robert Bradley robert.bradley1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 11:01:12 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 08:38 -0700, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> If I can access another computer on the wired network by name, that
> means that the WINS server is working, right?  The problem is that I
> can't access another computer by name (only by IP address) when it is
> on a different subnet.

On the same subnet, you can resolve addresses through NBT broadcasting
and/or mDNS.

> I've tried manually configuring the WINS
> server in Windows 7 and it doesn't make a difference.

That's more interesting, since that ought to work!

I think you need to set /etc/config/samba to:

----
config samba
        option 'name'                   'openwrt'
        option 'workgroup'              'WORKGROUP'
        option 'description'            'openwrt'
        option 'homes'                  '1'

config sambashare
        option 'name'                   'tmp'
        option 'path'                   '/tmp'
        option 'read_only'              'no'
        option 'guest_ok'               'no'
        option 'create_mask'            '0700'
        option 'dir_mask'               '0700'
        #option 'users'                 'abc'
----

Next, modify "/etc/samba/smb.conf.template" directly and add:
	wins support = yes
to enable the WINS server, restart Samba on the router, then restart all
the computers.
--
Robert Bradley <robert.bradley1 at gmail.com>