[Bloat] First-time install on brand new WNDR3700v2 not working

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 10:22:35 EDT 2011

Wow. 3 flashers in one day. (there is no specific cerowrt list, this is as
good a place as any, at least for now)

I will try to improve the flashing instructions but to clarify here:

the 'FACTORY' images are are for installing when you have factory firmware
installed. Usually, but *not always*, you can install that via the factory
web interface, but always, you can install via a tftp update.

The 'SYSUPGRADE' images are for when you have a prior version of openwrt,
cerowrt, dd-wrt, etc, already installed.

JFFS2 vs squashfs is a matter of personal choice. If you plan to do lots of
development or coding on the router, go with jffs2. Otherwise squashfs
saves space.

I'm really delighted to see people trying cerowrt out (and all on a day
while I was offline!). I look forward to any feedback you might have.
(bugs, features on the wiki please)

but: I have to note that although rc7-smoketest8 is proving out pretty
good... it's what I call a 'smoketest', not even a release candidate. I try
to come out with smoketests once a week, and my hope was to get rc7 itself
out in ~2 weeks...

but as we're lagging  the kernel development cycle by a little bit too much
(and some core trees are only just now coming online again) I'm going to
slip a whole bunch of stuff out of rc7's roadmap.

What I've been burning mental cycles on - is that now that I'm relatively
happy with the wireless performance and overall stability/features - is
trying to improve the gateway AQM system to suck a little less. Which is
proving to be hard. And also improving wireless latency further using a
sane classifier with QFQ - which is also proving to be hard although I have
more of a grip on that at the moment.

Anyway, don't expect miracles from cero yet! Bloated queues move to your
laptop, and upstream links - which are also bad places for them! - fixing
your laptop is relatively easy - upstream link harder - you have to fix
bloat everywhere you can.

>>> http://www.myopenrouter.com/**article/18623/How-to-Hard-**
>>> Reset-Your-NETGEAR-WNR3500L/<http://www.myopenrouter.com/article/18623/How-to-Hard-Reset-Your-NETGEAR-WNR3500L/>
>>> )
>>> 2. flashed OpenWRT using netgear web gui (it shows a warning but allows
>>> continue)
>>> 3. another 30-30-30
>>> 4. flashed CeroWRT from OpenWRT gui
>>> 5. profit!
>>>

>> I'm up!  Thanks, Max!
>>
>> I was unable to load the CeroWRT code from the OpenWRT GUI, but was
>> able to reset the router then TFTP the image in.

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
FR Tel: 0638645374
http://www.bufferbloat.net