[Bloat] a flood of Bufferbloat-related papers

David Täht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 04:03:48 EDT 2011

On 10/12/2011 09:49 AM, Lawrence Stewart wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On 10/11/11 21:27, David Täht wrote:
>> I sat down on my vacation last week thinking I would write up a review
>> of progress since the bufferbloat effort began back in January, 2011. In
>
> I think we should exercise a bit of caution in relation to saying
> things like "the bufferbloat effort started in Jan 2011" - the
> pre-2011 literature alone (although not using the term "bufferbloat"
> specifically) extensively covers the issues, symptoms and a myriad of
> solutions for the problem.

You are correct, I should have said 'bufferbloat.net effort', which got
off the ground in late january, 2011.

We had started on a collection of older papers on the wiki, starting
with rfc970 and working forward. Filling in the blanks between that (and
yes, we can go back further) and the present day is going to take some work!

>> particular, I was interested in discovering to what extent we'd made the
>> cross-over not just into other OSes besides Linux (e.g - BSD, windows)
>> but into academia.
>
> FWIW, I'm a FreeBSD kernel developer and a PhD student working on
> transport layer congestion control. I've been involved in doing a lot
> of experimental work related to bufferbloat (we refer to it as
> "collateral damage" in our papers) using FreeBSD and Linux.

More keywords to google for...

>> In the future I would certainly appreciate the authors of bufferbloat
>> related/referencing papers to mention them on this mailing list *as*
>> they are published!
>
> Here are a few pointers to relevant papers done by people at the
> research centre where I'm studying:
>
> "A rough comparison of NewReno, CUBIC, Vegas and ‘CAIA Delay Gradient’
> TCP (v0.1)": http://caia.swin.edu.au/reports/110729A/CAIA-TR-110729A.pdf
>
> "Revisiting TCP Congestion Control using Delay Gradients":
> http://www.springerlink.com/content/mq50134631115076/
>
> "Multimedia-unfriendly TCP Congestion Control and Home Gateway Queue
> Management": http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1943552.1943558
>
> "Improved coexistence and loss tolerance for delay based TCP
> congestion control":
> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpls/abs_all.jsp?arnumber=5735714&tag=1
>
> "Collateral Damage: The Impact of Optimised TCP Variants on Real-Time
> Traffic Latency in Consumer Broadband Environments":
> http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-01399-7_31

I was aware of 2 of these, but not the others. I would very much like to
read the last in particular, but it doesn't appear to be publicly
available from a quick google.

(And thx for putting the refs into the wiki format!)

> Off the top of my head, you should also check out the work done by
> Nick McKeown's group (although their focus has been on core routers):
> http://yuba.stanford.edu/buffersizing/

I've read much of their work, and much of it does apply, but home
routers are different in significant ways that I hope to be talking
about at lincs in paris, oct 19...

> There's plenty of other relevant work that I can't think of
> specifically right now, but it's out there.

Thanks for the pointers... (all, keep 'em coming)