[Bloat] an update on cerowrt-rc7

David Täht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:02:38 EDT 2011

A new smoketest of rc7 is out:

http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/~cero1/rc7-smoketests/rc7-smoketest5/

Which is basically linux-3.0.8 + openwrt head + support for the wndr3800

CeroWrt IS independently buildable now:

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Building_Cerowrt_on_your_own_machine

It's getting easier to install:

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/OCEAN_CITY_INSTALLATION_GUIDE

and the roadmap remains overwhelming.

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/roadmap

I was feeling kind of discouraged about the prospect of renewing work on
cerowrt this month.

The goal has been to get to where the OS and drivers are stable, then do
a bunch of *repeatable* bloat-related experiments - then kick back into
a development mode with those results.

we've been spending increasing amounts of time validating the lowest
levels of the stack - re-analyzing the original bufferbloat data, as one
example - and we've designed a couple experiments that should reliably
show bufferbloat AND hopefully various mitigations against it, once they
exist - that can be repeated by engineers (in front of management!) and
students using the thing.

and I've been thinking really hard about what a good API to Minstrel
would be...

All of which was more fun that getting cerowrt from rc to 1.0.

Because, on the whole, the last rc4 is working pretty good.

AND the prospect of building an entire OS AGAIN and burning it into the
machines at bloatlab #1 was a bit daunting. Not only that, but enough
fixes had gone into the linux-3.1 release (mostly ipv6 related) that I
was thinking it would be best to aim for that as a final target for 1.0
than stick with 3.0...

And THEN I was pleased to see people actively pointing to the project today.

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/11/10/25/1429235/ask-slashdot-dd-wrt-upgrade-to-80211n

darn it... so my enthusiasm is back closer to where it belongs, and I
got that smoketest out. Darn it, bruce...

So.

My thx to Petri Rosenström for simply *ignoring* the steaming pile of
patches for the wndr3800 that are on
"http://www.myopenrouter.com/download/list?cat=64"

and just creating the *one* tiny patch that mattered. Not only that, but
openwrt head for the 3800 has working leds and ipv6, which the one on
the above site's betas do not. If anyone has a 3800, please give this
smoketest a try.

(I'm told the wndr3700*v3* is basically the same as a 3700v1 - not
enough flash! So I hope the 3800 works out if the 3700v2 stops being
available.)

I did one of the aforementioned experiments (I will write it up after
linuxcon), showing how much lower latency txqueuelen of less than 40 was
than 1000, under load...

and a talk last week at the lincs lab, then two in oslo this week... and
I'm in Prague now for linuxcon where I am happily NOT speaking, just
planning to kibitz on john linville's talk (hi john!)... and after that
I'm going to buckle down for the winter and start attacking some of the
harder, higher level stuff left on the roadmap.

I'll make a call on 3.1 after linuxcon. Thoughts welcomed... help
welcomed...

I also have a raft of tiny patches queued up - notably what I think is a
fix to ipv6 related 802.11e classification that I've yet to test, and a
revamp of the openwrt qos system, and I finally got a spare box that I
can do debloat-testing kernel work on without risking my laptop's life...

And I keep struggling to remember the name of this GREAT jazz club in
paris... I got a lot of work done there one night while grooving on
it... and is anybody else in prague this week?