[Bloat] Best practices for paced TCP on Linux?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 11:56:35 PDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 Apr, 2012, at 9:10 pm, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
>
>> Have you tried the one at cesur.tg12? It's pacing things out a bit more.
>
> After reducing my TCP *receive* window to 64KB, the 720p50 stream at the main site is playing just fine - or at least it was, until the presenters just came on for the "Grand Finale".  That was a very abrupt and well-synchronised change in performance, so there has to be something different there.

there was some great female singer/techno folk on earlier, I enjoyed
it, even if I didn't speak the language.

> I appreciate, however, that a 64KB window requires a maximum of 100ms round-trip latency at 5Mbps, so that's not a solution for New Zealond.

They are mostly dealing with far shorter rtts than that - a few ms in
the hall (wifi, but with bufferbloat I imagine - I'd have liked to
have got some captures ) a few dozen in the area  -new zealand isn't
their target market, playing with that and california was a way to see
where the problem might be coming from.

So it sounds like a less than 64k window is enough to cover much of
europe at these speeds.

>  - Jonathan

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608