[Bloat] Best practices for paced TCP on Linux?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 13:18:47 EDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 Apr, 2012, at 6:35 pm, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 08:25:18AM -0700, Dave Taht wrote:
>>> The test HD tcp stream is up at
>>>
>>> http://cesur.tg12.gathering.org:9094/
>>
>> That's the SD stream. http://stream.tg12.gathering.org/ has HD etc.
>
> I've got this running over here:
>
> 12Mbps ADSL2+ in Finland (not at all far from Norway), via a standard modem-router rather than my usual Linux system.  The LAN segment is entirely wired full-duplex Ethernet.  The receiver is a Core i7 Windows PC running the latest stable VLC, so it's not short of ability to play what it receives.
>
> And it's dropping more frames than it's playing.

The difference between the udp stream and the tcp stream are amazing.
Perhaps steinar can send you a udp stream for comparison.

I just took a capture of both the tcp stream and the udp stream
simultaneously for about 5 minutes. The tcp stream was nearly useless,
the udp one excellent...

the captures are up at:

http://huchra.bufferbloat.net/~d/captures/gathering/

The tcp stream was interestingly periodic...

>  - Jonathan Morton

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608
http://www.bufferbloat.net