[Bloat] Best practices for paced TCP on Linux?

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Sat Apr 7 16:16:08 EDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 07, 2012 at 12:38:04PM -0700, Dave Taht wrote:
> As for an explanation...
>
> Welcome to bufferbloat, the global plague that is sweeping the world!

Aaa. I already follow the bufferbloat discussion (although most of it is over
my head; even though my degree is in communications technology, I went down
the DSP path and not networking), but I really didn't expect bufferbloat to
actually be the direct cause of all of this. :-)

> It will make a great case study, and I would love it of a few of the
> amazing graphics and sound talents you had at  "the gathering" - could
> lend their vision to explaining what bufferbloat is!
>
> jg's videos are helpful but they don't rock out to techno! nor do they
> feature led-lit juggling balls (wow!), nor spectral snakes that
> dissolve into visual madness.

Not speaking Norwegian, I think you missed the most important part about the
juggling balls -- they contain Arduinos with gravity sensors etc.. The
spectral snakes sound very much like Struct by Outracks, which was indeed
shown (it got 3rd place in the democompo last year).

> Perhaps using an rtp based streaming method, particularly over ipv6,
> will give you a better result next year.

RTP/RSTP would be interesting, although I have no experience with it
properly. How does it work wrt. yielding to TCP? How well does it traverse
NATs? (We do full stack and have done for years, but unfortunately most of
our external audience has no IPv6 yet.)

The intro compo is starting soon, and then the demo compo (right now,
freestyle video).

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/