[Bloat] Best practices for paced TCP on Linux?

Jesper Dangaard Brouer jdb at comx.dk
Sat Apr 7 17:13:59 EDT 2012

Hi Steinar,

The stream from http://pannekake.samfundet.no:3013 is fairly stable,
compared to e.g. http://cesur.tg12.gathering.org:9094/, but is clear
that sometimes excessive buffering does occur.

Try to looking at the Recv-Q size, e.g. using the command "netstat -tan".
Some time you will see it grows, see the output below, where
it reached 400Kbytes.  This is data avail to the application (in the
kernel), but not yet processed/read by the VLC application.

[hawk at t520 norsk-streaming]$ netstat -tan
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address          Foreign Address     State
tcp   400312      0 192.168.42.180:59826   129.241.93.35:3013  ESTABLISHED

While writing this email, I saw it jump upto 949690 bytes, and the
signal quality went down.

--Jesper Brouer