[Bloat] Best practices for paced TCP on Linux?

Rick Jones rick.jones2 at hp.com
Fri Apr 13 20:35:40 EDT 2012

On 04/06/2012 03:21 PM, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 02:49:38PM -0700, Dave Taht wrote:
>> However in your environment you will need the beefed up SFQ that is in 3.3.
>> and BQL. If you are not saturating that 10GigE card, you can turn off TSO/GSO
>> as well.
>
> We're not anywhere near saturating our 10GigE card, and even if we did, we
> could add at least one 10GigE card more.

TSO/GSO isn't so much about saturating the 10 GbE NIC as it is avoiding
saturating the CPU(s) driving the 10 GbE NIC.  That is, they save trips
down the protocol stack, saving CPU cycles.  So, if you are not
saturating one or more of the CPUs in the system, disabling TSO/GSO
should not affect your ability to drive bits out the NIC.

rick jones