[Bloat] Best practices for paced TCP on Linux?

Steinar H. Gunderson sgunderson at bigfoot.com
Sat Apr 7 11:35:48 EDT 2012

That's the SD stream. http://stream.tg12.gathering.org/ has HD etc.

> I'd like to look into what percentage of the failures I observed
> happened on the wifi hop vs the ethernet gateway
> since then many changes where made, and I'm low on sleep. (what do
> geeks do on a friday night?)

FWIW, most of the users complaining don't have wifi in the mix at all.

> I don't know if they are still trying sfqred or qfq in production -
> they worked! - but had little effect (as is to be kind of expected
> with the instantaneous queue length being so short and bandwidth so
> high on their first and nearest hops....)

The one on cesur.tg12 has sfqred + my hacked VLC to do TCP pacing.

The one on stream.tg12 has the oddest “shaping” in a while; the 10GigE is
terminated in a Cisco 4948E which then has a 8x1GigE trunk out. We hope this
will smooth out the worst bursts a bit.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/