[Bloat] Bufferbloat research: Help required

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Sat Dec 1 15:53:13 EST 2012

    Mark> It's also interesting to note that cellular wireless [DATA] systems
    Mark> have been designed with a primary objective of reducing packet
    Mark> loss, at the expense of delay and especially delay variability
    Mark> introduced by link layer ARQ and other schemes. This approach
    Mark> maximizes the throughput of a single long-lived TCP
    Mark> connection, which is not an especially common traffic
    Mark> pattern.

A question, given that I inserted [DATA].

I wonder to what extent the pre-LTE systems were designed this way in
part to make sure that voice over data would always be crappy?

The LTE roadmap says that voice is now over data, so it's now in the
carrier's interest to do things differently.

    Mark> Furthermore, the throughput of a cellular wireless radio
    Mark> channel varies by orders of magnitude on fairly rapidly
    Mark> (channel conditions are reassessed hundreds of times per
    Mark> second): what was a reasonable sized buffer for the throughput
    Mark> at one moment becomes a bloated one a fraction of a second
    Mark> later.

Does ECN help us here?

] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
	               then sign the petition.