[Bloat] Bufferbloat research: Help required

Simon Barber simon at superduper.net
Sat Dec 1 16:47:42 EST 2012

Voice over data can actually work very well in 3G networks (better than
dedicated voice even), but it requires prioritisation. There is a bunch
of work going on to enable this in existing networks to support the new
services that VoLTE will enable, over older networks (Joyn). This is a
*huge* transition in carrier networks, and will take some time to
arrive. Even today only 1 US carrier uses VoLTE, all the others switch
to 3G to make or receive a phone call.

Simon