[Bloat] Bufferbloat at LUG talk - Meeting Report

Richard Brown richard.e.brown at dartware.com
Sun Dec 9 11:56:58 EST 2012

Folks,

I gave the talk to the local Linux User Group on Thursday, and it went really well. Two people came up to me after the talk and said, in effect, "You know, I think I've seen this. But I've always blamed something else." Their experience:

- Attempting to Skype with a bunch of web browser tabs open gives bad results. Closing the tabs made things better. (They been blaming the browser for "using too much memory". Now it's possible to think that it's a network problem.)

- Another person reported that his network connection (wireless ISP, two hops to a wired network) seemed to work OK as long as his household was mostly downloading. But uploading much of anything really made things bad.

I posted the slides at http://www.bufferbloat.net/attachments/download/148/Bufferbloat-DLSLUG-Dec2012.pdf

Rich

PS I've updated the CeroWrt site to include links to a bunch of relevant videos. (http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Bloat-videos) Please let me know if there are others that we should point to.