[Bloat] TCP TFO client behaviour

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 12:52:43 EST 2012

> I really wonder why this is sent to these lists instead of netdev ?

In my case I find it impossible to read netdev on a regular basis,
with the size of the traffic and the unbelievable patch burden - (not
that I can't filter it, but that fairly often I find a patch too
tempting to not apply and then play with)

I have no problem taking a conversation to netdev if needed...

However I'd note that TCP fast open is not just a linux feature, but
affects the entire internet. Perhaps the readership here has a more
broad view of how this should be approached.

Ketan has been busily adding support for TFO to a couple tools used in
cerowrt. (httping is already out there in a release!)

It's my hope to be able to sanely test it in cerowrt's 3.7.x release.

I also am concerned about TFO wider adoption into other tools like
these (ssh? dns?) and what those effects might be.

I'm probably dropping the syn optimization in simple_qos.sh because of
tcp fast open. But I would prefer to gather data and test, first, with
good tools. Are there any other tools besides chrome and httpping
setup for clients?

I look forward to trying out the polipo support.