[Bloat] What is fairness, anyway? was: Re: finally... winning on wired!

George B. georgeb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 20:57:20 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Jonathan Morton <chromatix99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are two good things you can do.
>
> 1) Pressure your ISP to implement managed queueing and ECN at the head-end device, eg. DSLAM or cell-tower, and preferably at other vulnerable points in their network too.

Well, if they have a Cisco network, that might work.  Few other
network gear vendors actively support ECN.

> 2) Implement TCP *receive* window management.  This prevents the TCP algorithm on the sending side from attempting to find the size of the queues in the network.  Search the list archives for "Blackpool" to see my take on this technique in the form of a kernel patch.  More sophisticated algorithms are doubtless possible.

Probably not something I want to use in production.

Thanks, Johnathan.   Now yet another question:

Two different server configurations (these are real life examples, by the way):

1.  eth0 and eth1 bound as bond0 with vlans hanging off of them.
Where to put the qdisc?  On the bond interface?  On the Ethernet
interfaces?  On the vlan interfaces?

2.  eth0 and eth1 have vlan interfaces attached as eth0.10, eth1.10
and eth0.20, eth1.20.  Those are bound to bond interfaces, bond10 and
bond20.  Same question, where best to apply the qdisc.

George