[Bloat] How soon can the brave but foolish start being early adopters

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 23:01:12 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Jim Reisert AD1C
<jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:05 AM, David Collier-Brown wrote:
>
> >  I'm an interested lurker (and capacity planner)  who might easily try
> > out the work that's been done in CeroWrt if it would be useful to you.
> > Consider me a prospective exposure tester (:-))
>
> Dave, I went through this exercise some months back.  The problem we
> ran into was that the wired and wireless subnets broke Windows file
> sharing.  We got most of the way there, but due to family harmony, I
> had to abandon the testing I was doing before I could test a full
> solution.  Search for my posts in the archives and you'll see where
> the problem may have been resolved.
>
> But I won't try this again until the next CeroWRT release.  I backed
> off to Open WRT for the time being, which doesn't have the issue.

I'd like to think the samba + routing issue is resolved - the new samba
3.6.3 package has been highly tuned and optimized by several core members
of the openwrt team, and I'm now including it by default in the current
cerowrt 3.3 builds.

But, I'd like to actually be testing Jim's scenario before I say it's
fixed, and that awaits a rebuild of bloatlab 1.

Many other things are in flux, but settling down rapidly.

I hope to have gathered the final requirements for the next
release by the end of next week, and to start producing
truly usable-as-your-default-router builds...

as soon as I start getting those builds into the new, improved
and updated bloatlab #1... and a couple other things land...

which I hope would be in about a month.

In the meantime I note that more cerowrt news and traffic can be had on the
cerowrt-devel list, and needent be on 'bloat'. We're also trying to get
better about putting out news on the site, as well.

> --
> Jim Reisert AD1C, <jjreisert at alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us

SKYPE: davetaht
US Tel: 1-239-829-5608