[Bloat] What is fairness, anyway? was: Re: finally... winning on wired!

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Wed Jan 4 12:23:18 EST 2012

On 01/04/2012 11:16 AM, Dave Taht wrote:

>    3) since game manufacturers have noted the diffserv marking in
> PFIFO-FAST, what do these queuing disciplines currently do?
> They pay no attention to diffserv. It's possible we have a small
> problem here, but I'd wager not.

That's not what I understand from talking to Andrew McGregor: he says
the game companies have figured out that diffserv marking is respected
by PFIFO-FAST, and are marking appropriately (since most current routers
are doing PFIFO-FAST, as it's been the default in Linux for quite a while.

But the flows may be sparse enough it may not matter so much.

I think we need to understand this in more depth...