[Bloat] Re: What is fairness, anyway?

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Mon Jan 9 17:27:10 EST 2012

Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe at bt.com> wrote: | All I would add is that in the
family scenario, all the users have control over the hosts which are
already able to control transfer rates. So no-one needs or wants to
twiddle knobs on home gateways to improve family harmony. In the first
instance, app developers have the interests of family harmony at heart.
They don't want to write apps that pee off their users. And if there's a
chance they will be peeved, the app developer can add a knob in the app.

I think separation of concerns is appropriate here: if I want to manage some particular flows in the context of a home network, I'll bring up trickle.  The daemon, not the protocol!  See http://monkey.org/~marius/pages/?page=trickle

Then I get an explicit, user-visible knob to manage any special cases, such as a over-long transfer eating my wife's more important transfer!

--dave c-b

(416) 223-8968