[Bloat] Traffic patterns for AQM testing.... Bursty behaviour of video players.

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Fri Jan 27 12:10:23 EST 2012

On 01/26/2012 03:48 PM, Paul Gleichauf wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I suggest you also look at YouTube. The last time I checked, their
> initial firehose behavior was more pronounced than Hulu and may have
> had more to do with deliberately designed server behavior to support a
> specific usage pattern for viewing their videos. It's hard to tell
> without server logs how much the intermediate network nodes
> contribute, vs buffbloat, vs. the server's rate limiting.  It appears
> as if YouTube may want to move on to the next relatively short request
> as fast as possible, rather rate limit in pulses to stream longer
> running streams such as a movie or a television show.
>
> Here are a couple of old traces to make the point. Both are
> Flash-based on the same platform, but different content.

I will.  But also Simon Leinen
<https://plus.google.com/107530144481437668885>on google+ pointed me at
- "For a characterization of the behaviors of various video streaming
services, see "Network Characteristics of Video Streaming Traffic" by
Rao et al., CoNEXT 2011
(http://conferences.sigcomm.org/co-next/2011/program.html)"

In the short term, I need to understand what current TCP systems
*should* do in the face of long idle periods, which invalidate the
congestion information.  I fear these may be large line rate bursts
hitting the broadband head end, and then propagating to the home router
queues... under some circumstances (e.g. the RTO gets driven up due to
bloat, so the congestion window doesn't come down very fast in the idle
periods).  Help from people who know TCP better than I do (which isn't
all that well), gratefully appreciated.

My immediate reaction to these bursts was "boy, we may need someone (not
me) to write a BCP on how to do more network friendly video
players"....  There's been a significant discussion on Google+ as a
result since then.