[Bloat] BISmark needs a full-time developer

Nick Feamster feamster at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jul 4 05:06:29 EDT 2012

Hello,

BISmark is looking for a developer.  I've attached the job posting below, but it's also here:
http://blog.projectbismark.net/project-bismark-seeks-core-developer

Thanks!
Nick

--------------------

Project BISmark Seeks Core Developer

The BISmark project (http://projectbismark.net/) is looking for a permanent research staff/programmer position, starting immediately in the Computer Science Department at the University of Maryland College Park, located about 8 miles from downtown Washington, DC.

About BISmark
BISmark is building an open platform to help researchers measure broadband access networks and better understand home networks, all from the home router.  We are studying questions ranging from the performance of users’ Internet service providers, to general reachability, to performance of home wireless networks. The BISmark router, installed as the gateway device in a home network, runs a version of the Openwrt Linux distribution along with our own measurement and management tools. Well over 100 BISmark devices are currently deployed in homes around the world (see http://networkdashboard.org for the exact count).  We plan to significantly increase the number and geographic diversity of deployed routers in the next year. All of the BISmark software is open source and available on Github, and our active measurement data are made available for other researchers via Measurement Lab.  The project supports a large group of Ph.D. students and postdocs performing research in this area, and also interacts regularly with policy groups and industry.

About the role
You will contribute to all aspects of the BISmark platform. You will develop and maintain software for both the BISmark routers and the measurement and control infrastructure that supports them. You will play a core role in our development team that consists of Ph.D. students and researchers. You will lead efforts to enhance the usefulness, reliability, and scalability of the platform and play a major role in designing and architecting the next version of BISmark.  You should be interested in and excited about BISmark and its goals, and network measurement and management research in general.

Requirements

Any candidate must:

	• Have solid experience with our “stack”, including GNU/Linux, shell scripting, C, and Python (or a similar interpreted language).
	• Have solid experience with both new development and maintenance and enhancement of existing software.
	• Have sufficient knowledge of/experience with computer networks and the Internet to understand and discuss BISmark’s measurement tools and network design decisions.
	• Be “entrepreneurial”—willing to independently seek out problems that are of interest to the individual and valuable to the project, and then drive development of solutions.
	• Be excited to work in an academic environment with faculty, researchers, and Ph.D. students.  You will have the opportunity to contribute to research projects associated with BISmark.  Although the primary function of the job will be development, you may also need to periodically address the concerns of graduate students who are performing a specific experiment on BISmark.
Ideal candidates would also have experience with the following:

	• Some of the more specialized aspects of our stack, including:
		• Linux kernel or distribution development
		• Internet and computer network measurement
		• Openwrt or Linux on embedded systems
		• Lua
	• git or another DVCS
	• devops roles or operations/system administration
	• databases and manipulating large amounts of data
	• designing and implementing distributed systems
	• computer systems security

To apply, send the following to jobs at projectbismark.net:

	• A URL to some code you’ve written previously that you’re allowed to show us.
	• A CV or resume describing your background, relevant skills and experience, and education or other qualifications.
	• Anything else you think we should know about you, or what interests you about BISmark.
	• A list of people who could tell us more about you.  These people may be employees, co-workers, other developers on open-source projects you’ve worked on, etc.