[Bloat] [Codel] more press...

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Thu May 10 08:56:19 EDT 2012

On 05/10/2012 01:43 AM, Dave Taht wrote:
> There was also discussion on slashdot, but I shudder at the thought of
> suggesting that anyone else here wade through it.
>
> Brahm Cohen went off on RED, without reading the codel paper...
>
> http://bramcohen.com/2012/05/07/tcp-sucks
Bram's article came out the day before the CoDel announcement.  So no,
he had had no opportunity to read the paper.  I noticed it since the
traffic to my blog went up a day before I expected it to.

I guess I'll have to do a blog entry to again remind people (and Bram)
that BitTorrent was not (and is not) the villain in the whole network
neutrality mess.  I first did a blog entry about that late in 2010, but
that was before most people knew about bufferbloat.  I wrote it when I
did to help Vint out, who was trying to inject some sanity into
discussions elsewhere; but bufferbloat really took off in a big way in a
posting that occurred a month or so later.

                    - Jim