[Bloat] Slightly off-topic: What might be wrong with the diagrams in "Controlling Queue Delay"?

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Mon May 14 12:00:08 EDT 2012

Management Summary

    In figures 5 and 6, the eye can't see the trend. 8 and 9 aren't as
    bad, but it would be A Good Thing to make the trend explicit.

In a blog discussion with Jim Gettys, I noted that at least two of the
figures in /Controlling Queue Delay,/ by Kathleen Nichols and Van
Jacobson, were mysteriously unclear.   Jim, not unexpectedly,  asked me
to be specific (:-))

This was hard because I had no idea /why/ I had reacted so badly to two
diagrams which I understood. After a considerable time, I realized what
was wrong:I knew what the diagrams were about!  Thus this message, to
see if the community saw the same thing.  I've written it as if I were
addressing Van Jacobson...

I knew that 5A, 6A and 7A were all comparisons of delay versus load, so
I understood that they should have the form I saw.  I already expected
CoDel to be "better", so I expected the diagrams to illustrate that.

However, if I had not already known what to expect, the diagrams would
have been much less clear.  Two things would have stood out

     1. The trend as the bandwidth increased would not have been obvious
     2. The behaviour of RED would have looked better than that of CoDel.

When I look at any of the "A" diagrams without preconceptions, I see two
separate pairs of data, separated by a blank space. To my eyes, that
looks like there is something to compare between each of the data in
those pairs, or perhaps between the pairs. This is wildly different from
what the diagrams seek to illustrate!  They really describe a curve,
with known margins of error, relating packet delay to bandwidth.  That's
a continuous curve, not four disparate points.

It's unclear why there should be only four points: with this spacing,
there arguably should be eight, to make the diagram look continuous.
Since it's non-linear, perhaps one should consider making the X axis
logarithmic?

 In fact, it's unclear why there should be points at all and not lines.
The useful information is that delay falls in a non-linear fashion as
bandwidth increases. The box plots tell me about the margin of error,
and therefor suggest to me that the margin of error's important.  After
all, that's what's emphasized!  [I had a 5A.gif here]

To make the trend important, it needs to be emphasized.  A curve drawn
through the medians would probably suffice, but explicitly drawing the
diagram as a "river" the width of the box, plus a center-line, would be
much clearer.  {I had a pair of pencil-sketches here]

Finally, when comparing RED to CoDel, it's best to plot them both on one
graph, so one can see the improvement, and not have to mentally subtract
one diagram from another.

The second consideration is that the diagrams give the the impression
that RED is better, as it yields less delay at every point except 3
MB/S.  Somehow, that seems the very**/opposite/** of what we're trying
to demonstrate. Are these values reversed? If not, do they support our
thesis that CoDel is better, or should we seek a better metric?

Similarly, all the "B" diagrams need at least a trend line drawn.
Fortunately the CoDel results are clearly better than RED's when
considering utilization.

Figures 8 and 9 are much better at illustrating the trend of each of
their data, but could use at least a trend line, if not a redrawing into
"rivers".

Figure 7 I simply skipped over: the others were puzzling enough to the
eye that I deferred trying to puzzle it out until now.

To accompany this, even for an audience of mathematicians, the body of
the article should say what the diagrams are intended to demonstrate,
and why that information supports the thesis of the article.

Now, just so you don't think you've blown everything, figures 1 and 2
clearly illustrate what the text describes, and shows a practitioner how
this change fixes the "bufferbloat" problem.  They're really rather
brilliant*, and allow the reader to understand how the fix works.

If they were the only thing the article had shown, it would still have
made its point.

--dave
[* I'm a Canadian, and engage in understatement (:-)]

(416) 223-8968