[Bloat] a nice talk by ESR about everything (including bufferbloat and the cosmic background bufferbloat detector)

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue May 22 21:53:20 EDT 2012

ESR is a wonderful speaker, and recently he got in front of the Java
users group in Philly.

While he also entertainingly covers tons of other topics...

along the way he touches on bufferbloat, and talks about the cosmic
background bufferbloat detector, (about 40 minutes in), the edge to
edge measurements and network tomography ideas (part of cerowrt's
planned tests), and the adventures we'd had in getting a *quality*
1PPS gps time source to work.

That's video is here:

https://plus.google.com/118131797905622113230/posts/FBTdvYhR8qS

No, cerowrt and bufferbloat.net have not been my only projects! But
eric headed this one up; I just hung out in the basement.

The Macx-1 precision timing device - is slated to be in production by
August. (haven't figured out how to pay for the run yet, tho)

I have one of the first three prototypes working well *indoors*, 20
feet inside a concrete building with no sky view at all.

For more details on the Macx-1 component of the cerowrt project, see
esr's various blog entries, starting with this one:

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=4196

If you have any questions, please hit the thumbgps list.

That leaves getting a few hundred cerowrt or cerowrt-like routers in
the field to actually get some edge to edge measurements done. (other
ideas welcomed) ketan has patched scamper for the ECN tests... but
getting the collection and analysis software more baked is daunting.