[Bloat] Skype

Michael Welzl michawe at ifi.uio.no
Sun Nov 18 09:57:53 EST 2012

Hi,

I have repeatedly noticed that Skype sometimes, in a long conversation
involving video, can create massive audio delays (in the order of
multiple seconds). This has happened to me in a conversation from a
hotel room in the US to my home in Oslo (where, apologies, I haven't
yet looked into de-bloating my modem and access point), and from my
office in Oslo to someone else's office in the US.

I'm wondering: was that always due to bloated equipment along the path
(including the end hosts), or does Skype poorly handle its internal
buffers?

Any experiences? I suppose the way to find out is to run Skype over a
verifiably de-bloated path. If, then, the problem never occurs, the
fault is with the equipment and not with Skype (and vice versa).

Cheers,
Michael