[Bloat] Skype

Alex Burr ajb44.geo at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 11:09:03 EST 2012

I have noticed delays - although I don't think multiple seconds - but I think that it may be skype trying to make the best of a bad connection. I don't have any knowledge of the internals of the skype client, but I suspect that they take the view that delayed audio is better than incomprehensible audio - I think I have even heard it actually repeating the last bit of audio before a glitch, to give you a better chance to understand the next bit, and presumably catching up when the opportunity arises.

So, an experiment to rule out skype might need to use not just a de-bloated path, but one with known packet loss.

Alex