[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] Network tests as discussed in Washington, DC

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Sat Nov 10 09:18:07 EST 2012

I follow this pretty closely.  The person you want to talk to is Sascha Meinrath, about M-Lab - and if you have a good proposal, he has money to fund a measurement project.

M-Lab has been a partial failure politically.  The reason is this: the FCC does not want to do anything that would annoy incumbents running current Internet access systems.   Direct measurements of latency are too dangerous.  If you speak to the only Commissioner who ever tried to get unbiased measurements (Copps) you will find that his attempts were sabotaged on every side.

The same thing happened in the CRTC inquiry regarding Net Neutrality, where I testified as an "expert witness" on the argument that prioritization was necessary to reduce congestion.  My testimony pointed out that congestion was best measured by direct latency measurements.  The incumbent operators *refused* to provide latency data, claiming a) they never measured it, and b) latency can be calculated from average traffic volume measurements by "Little's Lemma", so it was unnecessary.  (this last is categorically false, but it was "one expert vs. another").

I wish you godspeed in getting direct latency measurements publicized.  The dataset collected by Netalyzr has been attacked by the incumbent operators pretty strongly as "biased".  (of course the measurements the FCC commissioned to a contractor recommended by a Congressional staffer are "unbiased").