[Bloat] Bufferbloat research: Help required

Mark Watson watsonm at netflix.com
Fri Nov 30 13:56:59 EST 2012

It's also interesting to note that cellular wireless systems have been designed with a primary objective of reducing packet loss, at the expense of delay and especially delay variability introduced by link layer ARQ and other schemes. This approach maximizes the throughput of a single long-lived TCP connection, which is not an especially common traffic pattern.

Furthermore, the throughput of a cellular wireless radio channel varies by orders of magnitude on fairly rapidly (channel conditions are reassessed hundreds of times per second): what was a reasonable sized buffer for the throughput at one moment becomes a bloated one a fraction of a second later.

Best,

Mark Watson