[Bloat] "a bandwidth breakthrough"

Albert Rafetseder albert.rafetseder+bufferbloat at univie.ac.at
Wed Oct 24 10:49:11 EDT 2012

Am 24.10.2012 um 02:39 schrieb Jonathan Morton:

> On 24 Oct, 2012, at 12:24 am, Dave Taht wrote:
>
>> I've had 3 separate people send me this today.
>>
>> http://www.technologyreview.com/news/429722/a-bandwidth-breakthrough/
>>
>> Sure wish we had a PR dept here that was this good vs a vs fq_codel.
>>
>> I *think* I've read the relevant paper "Modeling network coded TCP
>> throughput"? But perhaps there is something newer driving this
>> announcement?
>
> [...]
> I'm actually sort of surprised that the inter-packet version isn't already built into wireless technologies by default, especially the ones that do packet aggregation.  In any case it is not totally new - a very similar idea is used in CDs.

In the case of the four Austrian 3.99G mobile operators we tested,
the fun answer is that they completely conceal loss on layer 2. As
a side effect, they delay packets by sometimes huge amounts: Waiting
for an ICMP echo reply can take a few hundred seconds (!), think
trains in tunnels, but packets do arrive eventually.

And what's true for ICMP is true for those protocols that produce
the significant data volumes as well. I pity the poor TCP RTT
estimator...

--
Albert Rafetseder BSc. MSc.
Member of Scientific Staff

University of Vienna
Faculty of Computer Science
Research Group Future Communication
(Endowed by A1 Telekom Austria AG)

Waehringer Strasse 29/5.46, A-1090 Vienna, Austria

T +43-1-42777-8620

albert.rafetseder at univie.ac.at
http://www.cs.univie.ac.at/fc