[Bloat] [Codel] [Cerowrt-devel] blip: a tool for seeing internet latency with javascript

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Sun Apr 28 20:37:04 EDT 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM, <dpreed at reed.com> wrote:

>  Actually, using HTTP 1.1 GET  that generates a single packet in each
> direction for a ping is quite reasonable.  In fact, it is "better" for
> measuring actual path latencies, since ICMP pings *could* be discriminated
> against in a router along the way (in the "old days" people in the routing
> community suggested that ICMP should be diverted off of the "fast path" to
> avoid degrading the user experience).

Yes, using HTTP is good in this respect.  I worked with the author of
httping to get support for persistent connections 18 months or so ago.

How to deal with proxies is one question, though one should mark the
response uncachable. (unless the intent is to just test the path as far as
the proxy.

In practice, I've never seen signs of ICMP being put off the fast path in
my testing; this doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

> I've been using this technique to measure bufferbloat-induced delays on
> Phones and Android phones for quite a while.  I have a couple of servers
> that use nginx "status" handlers to generate a short GET response without
> touching files as my "targets".
>

> Since it depends on HTTP 1.1's re-use of the underlying TCP connection for
> successive GET commands, it's a bit fragile.

I don't think this should be particularly fragile, unless you know
something I don't.

Jim