[Bloat] how to fix modem buffer bloat?

Collin Anderson cmawebsite at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 14:53:44 EDT 2013

Hi All,

> Any recommendations for solving the bufferbloat on my Comcast SMC cable modem?

Looking at it more, a workaround is probably all I can hope for at
this point. I first started keeping a ping session open back in 2008
to debug the internet, and I see bufferbloat almost every day at home
and at work. Anything to avoid the symptoms sounds great.

I want something reliable and have minimal configuration. I'm thinking
about buying a WNDR3800 and installing CeroWRT, or is there better
recommended hardware?

Also, isn't fq_codel "on by default" [1] in OpenWRT? If so, what's the
advantage of CeroWRT?

Thanks,
Collin

[1] http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/slides/slides-87-aqm-6.pdf