[Bloat] SFQRED or SFQARED?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 16:58:09 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Naeem Khademi <naeem.khademi at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Slide 37 of below link mentions that SFQRED implemented in Linux 3.4
>> upwards, "Utilized a better version of RED (“ARED”) from Sally Floyd
>> in 2002". However I'm unable to find the "adaptive" bit of SFQRED in
>> the kernel and iproute code. Can anyone (Dave or Eric) confirm that
>> the mentioned statement is correct?
>>
>> http://netseminar.stanford.edu/seminars/Inside_Codel_and_Fq_Codel.pdf
>>

> I think you are correct in that the adaptive RED code never formally made
> it into SFQRED. SFQRED was a brief blip in time before codel showed up...
> I'd talked about it in that talk as a steppingstone in hybrid fq+aqm
> history. (prior to that we were working with qfq + red as entirely
> separate, modular qdiscs). So... oops.

While I'm correcting slides and trying to keep history straight, after that
talk it was pointed out that head drop from the biggest flow had been
proposed as early as 1999, and possibly as early as the mid-late 1980s...

https://lists.bufferbloat.net/pipermail/bloat/2013-February/001345.html

I enjoyed the literature search around that thread a lot. What was new was
old again.