[Bloat] how to fix modem buffer bloat?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 15:28:15 EDT 2013

The advantage of cerowrt is that it runs about 3-4 months ahead of openwrt
on improvements to the bloat problem, and fixing bugs.

The disadvantage is that it runs about 3-4 months ahead of openwrt on
having new bugs.

Example: We just finished (with the aid of multiple parties ) finally
fixing a problem in HTB's atm DSL compensation that has existed for a year
(and probably several years before that), and I think the final set of
fixes will land in Linux 3.10.10 or .11 soon.

Right now it's very possible to merely layer two components of cero on top
of openwrt to get most of the benefit of the current work. (the aqm-scripts
and gui, and if you are daring, a couple patches to codel and fq_codel)

Sadly, I wouldn't recomend the current dev builds of cero for day-to-day
use at this point, although I hope to get to a new stable release by the
end of september. There's a ton of outstanding bugs left to fix.

While openwrt runs fq_codel by default on all interfaces, it's mildly
premature to be doing so on the wifi front. Work is in progress. However in
the general case, at the moment the principal use for fq_codel in a home
router is on the gateway to the internet - the fq_codel QoS system in
openwrt and dd-wrt works extremely well (with the exception of ipv6
native). I believe the package in cerowrt is better in most respects
(notably on ipv6), but limited in others. Gargoyle is using a prior effort
(improved sfq + an automatic rate measurement system called ACC). There are
other options like using small atom boxes, ipfire, and several commercial
products....

The stable (feburary) release of cero is pretty usable, but lacks the
modernized aqm scripts, the htb fix, a bunch of ipv6 fixes, etc, etc.

I wish I could give firm advice, but we're kind of in the middle of a ton
of stuff right now, all I can do is encourage you to leap in, fix things
for yourself, and help out where you can.

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Collin Anderson <cmawebsite at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> > Any recommendations for solving the bufferbloat on my Comcast SMC cable
> modem?
>
> Looking at it more, a workaround is probably all I can hope for at
> this point. I first started keeping a ping session open back in 2008
> to debug the internet, and I see bufferbloat almost every day at home
> and at work. Anything to avoid the symptoms sounds great.
>
> I want something reliable and have minimal configuration. I'm thinking
> about buying a WNDR3800 and installing CeroWRT, or is there better
> recommended hardware?
>
> Also, isn't fq_codel "on by default" [1] in OpenWRT? If so, what's the
> advantage of CeroWRT?
>
> Thanks,
> Collin
>
> [1] http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/slides/slides-87-aqm-6.pdf