[Bloat] curious.....

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sun Dec 8 08:25:38 EST 2013

>> The promise of fq_codel is that we can get rid of our prioritising
>> hacks -- if we need that kind of features, then fq_codel has
>> failed.

> Is that really true? given enough concurrent flows, critical flows
> might be delayed purely be the round robin scheduling of equally
> "worthy" packets in fq_codel

At 100 Mbit, one full-size Ethernet frame is 120us.  This means that
if you want your VoIP traffic to have less than 30ms delay, you should
in principle reach your deadline as long as you have fewer than 250
congestion-limited flows at a given time.

> so some residual priory system might still make sense...

For throughput-sharing reasons, perhaps.  For latency reasons, hopefully not.

-- Juliusz